Stellar Performance in Two International Mathematics Olympiad Competitions
by Ms Edwina Lam, Subject Head/Research Skills and High Ability Learning
AY1617 was a very exciting year for some of our P2 to P6 math talents at SISHK as they have done exceptionally well in two different international mathematics competitions.
- World Mathematics Invitational (WMI)
Our school team, which consisted of six P2 students, participated in the first and second round of WMI in Hong Kong in both January and March 2017 respectively. During the first round, SISHK won the “Best Promotion Award – Primary School Section” and three of the team members won Bronze Awards. They are:
- Chan Yat Fung Evan (Class of P2A in AY1617)
- Lau Daniel Clement (Class of P2A in AY1617)
- Wang Jia Sheng (Class of P2L in AY1617)
Everyone in the school team was qualified to enter the final round and compete with about 900 other students from ten other countries in Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam in July 2017. Of the five students that participated in the final round, all of them received an award. They are:
- Chan Ching Hin – Gold Award (Class of P2L in AY1617)
- Lin Yau Tat Nathan – Gold Award (Class of P2C in AY1617)
- Wang Ruihan Allen – Gold Award (Class of P2C in AY1617)
- Chan Yat Fung Evan – Gold Award (Class of P2A in AY1617)
- Lau Daniel Clement – Bronze Award (Class of P2A in AY1617)
Their outstanding achievements were also featured in several local newspapers in Hong Kong.
- International Singapore Mathematics Competition (ISMC)
Our school team, which consisted of 12 students from P3 – P6, participated in this competition in April 2017 and all of them got an award. Here are the results:
|Name||Class of AY1617||Award Received|
|Cheng Ryan Kin Ming||P3S||Gold*|
|Lee Bao Ling Riley||P3C||Gold|
|Wong Shang Le||P3L||Silver|
|Cheong Kai Lyn Trinity||P4L||Gold|
|Chen-June Kee Fay||P4K||Silver|
|Tang Sze Ching Caitlyn||P4H||Bronze|
|He Shi Frank||P5C||Gold*|
|Wong Hui En Gabrielle Faith||P5P||Gold|
|Wong Yifeng Gavin||P5P||Gold|
|Zhang Zhigang Christopher||P6Z||Gold*|
* These students are within the top 10 positions amongst hundreds of other participants within that level.
Congratulations to all the awardees while we look forward to enrolling more talented students in different international competitions this year!